Hungarian Chicken Paprikash is a hearty dish that is full of flavor and is very satisfying. You will find many variations on this recipe. The ingredients change by region of the country. We will have several versions on the site. We hope you try them all because each Hungarian Chicken Paprikash recipe is unique and delicious.
Ingredients for Hungarian Chicken Paprikash:
- 2-3 lbs chicken breast or thighs (or both)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T vegetable or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 package button mushrooms, sliced or quartered
- 2 teaspoons paprika (sweet Hungarian if possible)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 8oz sour cream
Instructions for Hungarian Chicken Paprikash:
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Brown chicken slowly on all sides.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Slice onion and add onion to pan until tender and almost translucent.
- Add mushrooms, cook a few minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and paprika to pan with onions.
- Add chicken.
- Simmer covered until tender, 1 hour or so. Add water as needed. Taste it! Feel free to add more paprika.
- Blend flour with 2 tablespoons of water to a smooth paste. Add to sour cream; mix well. To this mixture add some hot liquid from the skillet, blend well. Gradually stir into skillet. Cook and stir until mixture slightly thickens.
Egg Dumplings – Ingredients:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix all ingredients well. Dough will be a thick, gooey paste.
- Place dough a portion at a time on a flat plate and with a knife push bite size pieces into boiling water.
- Boil gently for about 15 minutes.